When people asked me what my plans were for the upcoming three day weekend, I would say things like, “Oh not much, just going to a concert and Crashed Ice.” My “oh not much” plans turned into “you will do nothing with your weekend plans” when I woke up with the stomach flu at 3:30 a.m. Friday morning. The STOMACH flu. Grown ups don’t get the stomach flu. I don’t even remember the last time I have had that, but it has been a long time and my mom was definitely there to take care of me….
Now it is Sunday and I am happy to say after more than 48 hours of being quarantined in my house I have lived to tell how I have survived the flu and here are some helpful tips to you, if you should ever find yourself in a similar situation.
- Stock up on Gatorade, popsicles, soup and soda crackers. You may never need it but it is better to be safe than sorry. (or you could have an awesome friend Rachel! and an awesome roommate, Maggy! who go and buy these things for you).
- Don’t ever follow the “takes 30 minutes” Jello recipe. It was not successful for me.
- Save a show that you haven’t watched in a long time to only watch when you are sick. For example, I caught up on The Office. It had been awhile.
- If you must feel like you accomplished something with your weekend and can pull yourself out of bed, work on finishing an 1000 piece puzzle.
- Probably not a good idea to send work emails when you are sick.
Hopefully you never have to actually use this advice because being sick on your 3 day weekend is possibly the worst thing ever.
Now I’ll leave you with a band I didn’t get to see on Friday night. I’m sure they missed me (yep even Patrick at the Cedar knew I had the flu, he probably told the band) and will make plans to come and sing to me sometime soon.
P.S. 47 Days until Spring Training!